Friday Night Flood in Brief – 12/12
Tonight was the last Friday Night Flood of the year. It was a little bittersweet. Bitter because this is the last chance I will really have to interact with many of these teens for the rest of 2008. Sweet because it means that I get some vacation time and an opportunity to recharge for next year. Overall, most of the evening was a success.
- Pastor John sharing. Our senior pastor stepped in tonight (the fourth time we have tried to schedule him since September) and shared a message that at least seemed to hold the attention of our teens. And he seemed to enjoy himself as well.
- Banana Blast. We hosted two banana-themed challenges that were both disgusting and hilarious.
- Conversations. I don’t know what exactly it was, but tonight it just seemed easier to start up conversations with teens tonight. Especially with ones that I have not spoken with recently… or at all!
What didn’t work so well:
- Pastor John’s “chat room”. We set up a time after the message for students to interact with Pastor John, but only one took him up on it. (a couple drifted in later, but were more interested in PJ’s magic tricks).
- Getting teens to help reset the building. It happens every week. We just can’t seem to get much help to set 12 tables up with chairs, take down a ping-pong table, and move 2 couches into the youth room.
Not a bad way to end the year at Friday Night Flood. It could have been better, but it could have been far, far worse.